Monday 1 February 2016

On deciding what to blog about

I knew I was going to create a new blog to share with my classes, but have had a very hard time deciding what the focus would be. After giving it a lot of thought, I've decided to make this about aspects of digital citizenship. I'll be sharing it with two of my classes: the first is a group of students in my Digital Citizenship course, and the second is a group of professors enrolled in a professional development course I'm teaching.

I want to make clear that I understand how very hard it can be to create and maintain a blog. It draws constant questions, self-checks, and even doubts: What do I want to show the world about myself? Who will see it? When? What impression am I creating? Should I use this word, that picture--how will I be judged? Am I making mistakes here? Is this post a bit pointless? Has someone already said all of this? Does the world need another blog like mine? What value am I bringing? Really, why am I doing this? 

Blogging isn't easy. The good news is that we're in good company. In every great blog I've read, the writers stopped and questioned themselves, their motivation, their skill--sometimes to the point that the blog became a running meditation on the blogging experience.

It's hard but it's exciting. What can be more potentially illustrative of ourselves than our choice of word, style, colour, image, attitude, line and even font? These parts come together to create an impression in the same way that our moments in public do--the clothes we wear, the way we style our hair, the way we walk, the things we get done, the things we say, the things we don't say, how we treat people.  Sometimes one way among this group, another way among these others. The parts of a blog similarly project who we are.  The message, ultimately, is this is me.


No comments:

Post a Comment